Sunday, February 7, 2010

It is February!


And that means a lot of things! 1. The year is ALREADY flying by. I really can't believe that we are already into the second month of 2010. If I'm not careful, I won't be able to catch all of the amazing moments this year has in store of me. 2. I have already begun my second semester of college= in a few months, I will no longer be a college freshman! = I am getting older! AAAH! 4. It is Black American History Month. WOOP! 4. Love is on a lot of people's mind. Why? Because of the ever-looming VALENTINE'S DAY. Gross.

That is what I'm going to write about today. Our dumb dependency on such holidays and our over-emphasis of a media manufactured idea of "love." First of all, Valentine's Day has no value. Sure it have a monetary value. But that's it. That is the reason it was created, for the rich to find one more holiday to suck the common people's wallets dry. More so, the historical value is shallow, and the holiday is linked to a massacre. Pretty far from the "love" it promotes eh?

Basically, I don't celebrate it. And I never will. I express my love to others on more than one day. And my need to give out chocolates, cards, and flowers to my dear ones is not limited to the day of February 14th.

Additionally, when this time nears, I hear the whines of my fellow female compatriots. Many of the whines centering on the fact that they do not have significant others: be it boyfriends, friends with benefits, love interests, etc. And you know what? I'M TIRED OF HEARING IT! Ladies, we DO NOT need boyfriends. You just WANT boyfriends. I say it is time to differentiate between the two. Additionally, to this day, women (i'm referring to heterosexual women) continue to find a sense of self-completion with the presence of men in their lives. It is as if a woman cannot really be a "woman" without a man. And I think that is stupid. So many females put males on a figurative pedestal. Something that they like and fantasize about, but spend too much time worrying about, and something they (we) are scared of. I find that the root of this stems from fear. The fear of being rejected by your love interest. But that fear is becoming much too immobilizing.

To all my sisters of all races and creeds, it is time for us to stop defining ourselves by the men in our lives. Stop being scared. Tell the cute guy he is cute. Don't be afraid of going to events by yourself. Terminate the relationship you are not comfortable in. Do not let anyone define your life for you.

I have more to say, but I believe that can wait until another day. Have a happy FEBRUARY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers