Saturday, June 19, 2010

New Camera...


I am currently considering buying a new DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera. It has been a purchase that I've wanted to make for a long time, but I didn't have the financial resources to carry me through. In fact, I wrote a post about my love of photography a couple of months ago. The downside is that these types of cameras are not cheap. Most of them start at $400.00, and for a college student, that is a large sum of money . I know that there are PLENTY other things that I could be spending my money on, or even saving my money for...but...it is something that I have wanted for a very long while now.

It sounds like a worn aphorism, but photography is sincerely a way for me to keep my best memories. And what better way to preserve memories than capturing them in the sharpest, most highly defined way possible? I have so many memories from last year that I wish I would've captured, but my old camera failed me numerous times. And honestly, I don't want regrets. I don't want to regret not capturing those amazing moments. Additionally, I do not want to gain any sort of acclaim or praise from my photography. I am not planning on a career in photography, or selling my prints. I just want to document my rapidly changing life in the best way possible. Does that sound reasonable?

Well, it does to me. To my mother on the other hand, not so much. But here is a difference between she and I. Meticulous detail from the most minute images or memories have a greater meaning to me than to her. My mother is good at seeing the grand scale of things, of generalizing. While I have the habit of focusing on the small, the the facets that go unnoticed. There are pros and cons to both ways of seeing life, yet is understandable that she doesn't feel the same reward from photos as I do.

This could be attributed also, to the fact that I am surrounded by others who appreciate photography in the same sense.

BAH! I'm going to buy this camera! And I'm not going to regret it! Sure, I have a ridiculous amount of things to buy next year, but I know I will enjoy my year so much better with this camera...as foolish as that sounds.

Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers