Friday, July 2, 2010

In A Sentimental Mood...

performed by John Coltrane. This composition, originally composed by the great Duke Ellington is one of my favorites. I can unequivocally say that whatever I'm doing, be it reading, running, dancing, daydreaming, when I hear the unmistakable static harmony of "In A Sentimental Mood", I drop what I am doing and just...listen. Such a beautiful composition it is, and many times it puts me in a nostalgic mood rather than a sentimental one. I become transported to my first trip to New York City (a bit cliche, I know). It is warm, and I am walking with my family and friends in Brooklyn. Then the saxophone lets out a velvety "bada-bada-bada-baaaa", and I am transported back to Atlanta. I am sitting in Centennial Olympic Park, my face devouring the warmth of the sun, my eyelids kindle against my eyes.

I really, really, really love this composition. Ugh, the English language is starting to lose it's luster. I must re-write that last sentence in Spanish. Verdaderamente amo esta composicion, puedo sentirlo en todas partes de mi cuerpo, un sentimiento que mi el amor que tengo por las palabras si mismo no pueden describir.

That's better.

What was I going to write about initially? Ah yes, I have discovered that I am quite the "logophile", a lover of words. Additionally, I'm quite gregarious at that! Haha, how I treasure the value of words! But I must admit, there are vital moments in life when words are not needed nor are they welcomed. There are those moments when language fails you, when speech cannot truly begin to encapsulate one's heartfelt feelings.

I have those moments a lot. That's when I switch to another language (see example above). Connotations and denotations are lost/switched/inverted in different languages, and although others may see it as odd (granted they may lack the knowledge in the languages I choose to switch to), I find it as a medium of more lucid expression.

Take for example the word "crazy." In Yoruba, my mother tongue, that word is "We re" (i'm spelling it purely phonetically, I can't write Yoruba). However, when someone is called "we re", it is seen as a great insult. Not only does it denote someone who performs odd actions, but it implies a lack of mental health as well. The same with Spanish and the word "loca." Even though some may argue that it doesn't bear as strong of an insult, a person would get a few slaps on the head for calling a random passerby "loca."

Get my drift? Me entiendes?

What a mood "In A Sentimental Mood" puts me in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers